Time to Eat Healthy!
Healthy Bran Muffins and Whole Wheat Banana Muffins Recipes
Now that the holidays are past and we are about to enter a new year, it seems many of us are determined to diet or eat healthier in the coming year. With the world-wide economic crisis we are in, many may think they will not be able to eat healthier because they are cutting back on their food budgets. With the stress families are under, now is the time to improve your eating habits. It is important to stay healthy during these rougher times. You can start by making small changes. Try these healthy muffin recipes for breakfast or a light lunch. Pair them with some fresh fruit (buy seasonal fruits to save money) and you have a healthy meal. And remember, huge muffins don’t fit into your healthier eating or diet plan. By making your own muffins, you can make them in mini-muffin tins or only fill your regular muffin tins half full. You will have a healthier portion size.
WHOLE-WHEAT BANANA MUFFINS
- 5 medium-ripe bananas
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1 egg
- Peel bananas and mash with a fork.
- Set aside. In a large bowl, mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Set dry ingredients aside. Add the remaining ingredients to the bananas and mix thoroughly.
- Add banana mixture to the flour mixture.
- Grease 12 muffins cups and divide mixture evenly into the muffin cups.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until done.
For more, watch the above Video.
HEALTHY BRAN MUFFINS
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 3 tbsp canola or olive oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup instant low-fat dry milk
- 3/4 cup SPLENDA granular
- 1 cup wheat bran, divided
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp flaxseeds
- 2 tbsp raisins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin cups with paper baking liners.
- Blend applesauce, egg substitute, buttermilk, oil, vanilla, salt, dry milk, and SPLENDA together in a large mixing bowl, using a wire whisk.
- Reserve 2 tablespoons wheat bran and set aside. Add remaining wheat bran, flour, baking soda and cinnamon to mixture in large mixing bowl.
- Stir well. Mix in flaxseeds and raisins.
- Fill muffin cups 1/2 to 2/3 full of batter.
- Top each with a sprinkle of the reserved wheat bran.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Refer the Video for more.